Recognizing the vital role of history as the cultural and social fabric of a community, the Montgomery County Historical Society seeks to reflect the growth, diversity and vibrancy of Montgomery County. Montgomery County has experienced significant growth over the past several decades, and Montgomery History has grown as well, from an all-volunteer organization with a small membership to a professionally-staffed non-profit with over 1,000 members and over 100 volunteers.
A few facts about the Montgomery County Historical Society:
- Administrative center is located at the Beall-Dawson Historical Park in Rockville.
- In 1965 the City of Rockville purchased the Beall-Dawson House (circa 1815) in Rockville and entered a partnership with MCHS to cooperatively open the house for tours. The Historical Society established the museum, library, and administrative complex that exists today.
- In 1972, Dr. Edward E. Stonestreet’s one-room, free-standing medical office (circa 1850) was donated to Montgomery History and moved to the Beall-Dawson grounds. Today the building is known as the Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine.
- The Society’s growing collection of research materials necessitated hiring a librarian in the 1970’s as well as converting a garage on the property to library space. Renovated in 1993, and renamed in honor of librarian Jane C. Sween in 2001, the Sween Research Library offers reference and archival resources for genealogists and local historians.