111 W. Montgomery Avenue
Rockville, Maryland 20850
All Published Issues of The Montgomery County Story
with topical summaries
I-1 November 1957: “The Battle of the Monocacy,” by Albert A. Conradis. Describes General Jubal Early’s raid, and includes letter from a Rockville woman, Dora Higgins, describing the Confederate Raid on Rockville, June 1863.
I-2 February 1958: “Early Montgomery County Taverns.” Includes 1777 tavern rates and brief articles: “Suter’s Tavern,” by Cornelius W. Heine and “Dowden’s Ordinary,” by Ralph Fraley Martz.
I-3 May 1958: “Early Rockville Taverns,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Owens Ordinary; Hungerford Tavern; Leonard Davis’s house; Joseph Wilson; Russell House; Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged.
I-4 August 1958: “From Dawsonville to Sugar Loaf Mountain,” compiled by Alexander Casanges. Friends Advice; Aix La Chapelle; Greenwood; Monocacy Cemetery; Woodstock Manor; Inverness; Linden Hall; White family; Jones family; Eleven Brothers; Oak Ridge; Mt. Ephraim; Ephraim Harris; Sugar Loaf Mountain; Monocacy River mouth; Rock Hall; Roger Johnson; Belt family.
II-1 November 1958: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1856-1860. Brimstone Castle School; Alexandria, VA; Benjamin Hallowell; Brooke family; Sandy Spring;; agricultural practice and prices; Friends Meeting House; Rock Spring; Olney.
II-2 February 1959: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland,” Part II. Diary 1861-1865. Civil War; Lonesome Hollow; Olney; Lydia Townsend & Benjamin Hallowell wedding at Mahlon Kirk’s; lectures on: universal suffrage, emancipation, conscientious objector status.
II-3 May 1959: “Sandy Spring and the Friends Meeting from its Early History to 1853,” by Esther B. Stabler. Brooke Grove; Snowden; Thomas Brooke; Stabler families; Quaker Ministers: Ann Herbert Moore; Benjamin Farris; Sarah Harrison; Cherry Grove; Mt. Radnor; Walnut Hill; Betsy Lea, author of “Domestic Cookery;” Thomas Moore, inventor of refrigerator.
II- 4 August 1959: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part III,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1866-1869. Weather; horticultural society; courtship and marriage to Carrie Miller.
III-1 November 1959: “The First Fifteen Years of the Montgomery County Historical Society,” by Henry DeCoursey Adams. Early meetings and founding members and officers, purchase of Glenview in 1954, early collections, C&O Canal Museum opening.
III-2 February 1960: “History in Your Attic.” 1856 letter from Francis Preston Blair to Sandy Spring Quakers; James and Mary Anderson’s Civil War letters; Annie Getty’s 1868 letter about travel from Silver Spring, to Military Governor’s post in New Mexico.
III-3 May 1960: “The Background of Rockville,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Rock Creek Chapel built in 1739 now site of the Rockville Cemetery, used until Christ Church was built in 1821; Arthur Nelson; Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged, Valentines Garden, Young Man’s Delight; land patents; Crabb, Carroll, Herbeart and Adams families; courthouse on 1783 tax list; Williamsburg; Russell House; Hungerford Tavern site debate.
III-4 August 1960: ”The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part IV,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1870-1877. Agricultural practices; Grange organization; trip to New York; Christmas; family life; Philadelphia Exposition.
IV-1 November 1960: “The Home Interest Club,” by Mildred Newbold Getty. Women’s organization begun in 1897 in Woodside and Forest Glen. National Park Seminary; Mrs. John I. Cassidy; Grace Episcopal Church; Dr. and Mrs. George. H. McGrew, rector; Silver Spring; WWI; Red Cross; Social Service League; civic events; cook books; Helen Thompson; Carroll Springs Sanitarium; Dr. and Mrs. George H. Wright; poetry in “The Moon.”
IV-2 February 1961: “The Civil War in Montgomery County: Part I’ The Defenses of Washington Located in Montgomery County During the Civil War,” by Roger S. Cohen, Jr. and “Part II, Reminiscences of the Civil War,” by Mollie Hays Jones. Fort Ripley; Fort Alexander; Fort Franklin; map of 1862 defense construction; Barnesville; Hays family.
IV-3 May 1961: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part V,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1878-1882. Rockville Agricultural Society; trip to Cape May and the ocean; Barnum’s Circus; archery club; Richard J. Bowie’s death and funeral; trip to Luray Caverns.
IV-4 August 1961: “The Early History of Poolesville,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Dawsonville; Medley District; Beallsville; White’s Ferry; Joseph’s Choice, Forest; Pooles Hazard, Difficulty; Two Brothers; Pooles Right; Poole Family; spinning; weaving; 1843 County Fair; Civil War; Elijah White; Col. Edward D. Baker.
V-1 November 1961: “The Civil War in the Poolesville Area,” by Roger S. Cohen, Jr. Confederate and Union Generals and regimental units passing through Poolesville; Civil War Marker; telegraph; Edward’s Ferry; Camp Observation; Conrad’s Ferry; White’s Ford; Ball’s Bluff; Jerusalem community; map of Civil War sites.
V-2 March 1962: “Maryland’s Military Participation in the American Revolution,” by Burton K. Kummerow. Maj. Mordecai Gist; Col. Wm Smallwood; militia recruitment; New York campaign; Flying Camp; Col. Moses Rawlings; Maj. Otho H. Williams; Battles of Brandywine, Germantown and Camden; winter at Valley Forge.
V-3 May 1962: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland Part VI,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1883-1889; Farquhar family; Miller family; Agricultural Society; Rockville Fair; Nellie (Miller) Glasgow; Dr. Stonestreet; typhoid fever; Womens Rights Convention, Washington DC; Gen. Bradley T. Johnson; Savings Institution of Sandy Spring; Philip H. Haviland search party; Lyceum; Sandy Spring Annals; Dr. Burnett; eyeglasses; Rebecca Russells 100th birthday; Hay Market abuses; Uriah Griffith; Buffalo Bill Show.
V-4 August 1962: “The Laytonsville Area,” by James C. Christopher, and “Henry Griffith of Montgomery County, Maryland,” by Catherine Spurrier Willcox. Waterways; Old Baltimore Road; Cracklin Tavern; Griffith land tracts; Riggs, Brooke, Griffith, Gaither and Williams families; Dr. Richard Waters; St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church; Fred Bowman’s store; Chapel of Ease at Crowtown [Brighton]; Edgehill; Hungerford Tavern; Revolutionary War activities; Confederate sympathizers; Ridgely Brown; First Maryland Cavalry; Layton House; Rolling Ridge Farm; Clover Hill; Sundown Farm; map of Laytonsville.
VI-1 November 1962: “Two Historic Churches: Old Goshen Methodist Church,” by Ella Plummer, and “St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, Laytonsville,” by Mrs. Ulysses Griffith IV. Ignatius Pigman; Dr. Richard Waters; Father James Paynter; Methodist Church; Prince Georges Parish; Bowman’s store; St. John’s Olney; Christ Church Rockville; Griffith family; Riggs family; ministers.
VI-2 February 1963: “Let’s Keep ‘The Woodlands’!” by Helen Caulfield Madine, and others. Seneca Grist mill; Zachariah Maccubbin; Francis Clopper; Metropolitan Railroad Company; Clopper family; Caulfield family; Benson family; Hutton family; woolen blanket factory; Civil War; General Banks; Cabin John Bridge; C&O Canal; Western Maryland Railroad; Good Port; Locust Thickett; Seneca Hills; Robert’s Delight; Resurvey on Pleasant Valley and Pleasant Fields; Belts Hunting Quarter; St. Rose’s Roman Catholic Church.
VI-3 May 1963: “Sugar Land Hundred,” by Sumner Wood, Sr., and others. Hundreds of Montgomery County; Great Seneca Creek; Edwards Ferry; Conrad’s Ferry; White’s Ford; Spink’s Ferry; Poolesville; Sandstone Quarry; Lea’s Quarry; Col. Washington Bowie; Maj. John Bradford; Daniel Dulaney; Coxen’s Road; Old Indian Trail; Poolesville; C&O Canal; Seneca; Sugarloaf Mountain; Houses: Aix La Chapelle, Annington, Darnells, East Oaks, Grayhaven Manor, Inverness, Killmain I & II, Locust Grove III, Montanverde, Montevideo, Mt. Carmel, Pleasant Hills, Stoney Castle.
VI-4 August 1963: “The Maryland Assembly, 1751-1757,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Calvert family; proprietary government; Horatio Sharpe; Ohio Land Company; Daniel Dulaney; Capt. Henry Wright Crabb; Joseph Chapline; Nathan Magruder; Frontier Defense; French and Indian War; Braddocks Defeat; Fort Cumberland; Fort Frederick.
VII-1 November 1963: “Knowles Station and the Town of Kensington, 1870-1963,” by Wilson L. Townsend. Early families; municipal government; roads; Kensington Railway; street map; churches and Adas Israel synagogue.
VII-2 February 1964: “Knowles Station and the Town of Kensington, Part II,” by Wilson L. Townsend. Noyes Library; Crosby Noyes; public schools; Montgomery Press; post office; Kensington V.F.D.; financial institutions; town hall; social activities; women’s clubs; Masonic Lodge; musical organizations; drama club.
VII-3 May 1964: “Daniel Carroll of Rock Creek, by Martha Sprigg Poole. Joseph’s Park; Carroll family; Committee of Correspondence; Governor’s Council; Continental Congress.
VII-4 August 1964: “The Glen Echo–Cabin John Area,” by Roger S. Cohen, Jr., and “Cabin John and the Bobingers,” by Rev. Willis Bergen. Houses: Stoneyhurst, Loughborough; C&O Canal; Washington Aqueduct; Civil War; Clara Barton; Glen Echo; Baltzley Brothers; Joseph & Rosa Bobinger; Cabin John Bridge Hotel
VIII-1 November 1964: “Montgomery Blair,” by Mildred Newbold Getty, and “Notes on Silver Spring.” Globe Newspaper; Blair House; attitude toward slavery; Civil War; service in Lincoln’s cabinet; Jubal Early; Falkland burned; political party membership; efforts to negotiate end to Civil War.
VIII-2 February 1965: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part VII,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary, 1890-1895. Abert House; Norbeck; Grange Meetings; U.S. Census, 1890; Cherry Grove; Sunnyside; Annals of Sandy Spring; Natural Bridge trip; elections; farming practice; trip to Gettysburg; train travel to Niagara Falls; Columbia Athletic Club; Football; Rockville Fair; John Johnson, colored man; National Theatre; W.W. Rapley; William W. Welshs store fire; telephone service; Lyceum lectures; DeLaBrooke; University of Md, Agricultural College; Congressional Library, Washington, D.C.
VIII-3 May 1965: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part VIII,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary, 1896-1900. Family life; farming; trips to Washington, D.C.; political activity; Farmer’s Convention; McKinley’s inauguration; historic homes: Falling Green, Longwood, Brooke Grove, Della Brooke, Grove Hill, Riverside, Mt. Airy, Ashton, Auburn, Bloomfield, Sunnyside, Folly Quarter, Homewood; Old Georgetown Pike; quilting party; weather; Granville Haines; Carroll and Frederick Counties; Cardinal Gibbons at Olneys Catholic Church; Mutual Insurance Company.
VIII-4 August 1965: “Seventy-Five Years of Rockville, Maryland” as remembered by William F. Prettyman. B&O Railroad Station; William Wallace Welchs store; fire-fighting in Rockville; businesses and residents of Rockville; WINX Broadcasting; Reed Brothers; St. Marys Church; Charles W. Baggarly; Mordecai Morgan tailor shop; Rev. S. R. White, Pastor of Rockville Baptist Church; Corcoran Hotel; William Reuben Pumphrey Funeral Home; Masonic Hall; Lyddane Building; law offices; C.G. Murphy Store; Town Hall; Montgomery Advocate; Dr. Owens drug store; Vinson Drug store; Beall-Dawson House; Mrs. Edwin Davis; West End Park.
IX-1 November 1965: “Seventy-Five Years of Rockville, Maryland, Part II” as remembered by William F. Prettyman. Map of Rockville; Rockville before urban renewal; many family names.
IX-2 February 1966: “The Beall-Dawson House in Rockville, Maryland,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Upton Beall; Brooke Beall; General Lafayette; Haiti; John Dawson; Amelia Somervell; Mr. & Mrs. Edwin Davis.
IX-3 May 1966: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part IX,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1901-1906. Anti-Saloon League; Lyceum; Farmers Convention; school board; establishment of Sherwood High School.
IX-4 August 1966: “Highlights of Early Damascus Area History; Old Quaker Road; and Buffalo Road,” by Janie W. Payne. Edward Hughes; War of 1812.
X-1 November 1966: “Communities Along the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad,” by Everett B. Wilson, and “Local History,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Takoma Park; Silver Spring; Forest Glen; Kensington; Garrett Park; Montrose; Rockville; Derwood; Washington Grove; Gaithersburg; Germantown; Boyds; Buck Lodge; Barnesville; Dickerson; bibliography of local history.
X-2 February 1967: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar of Montgomery County, Maryland, Part X,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr., and “Local History (Continued)” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Diary 1907-1910. School board meetings; lectures; agricultural labor practices; Lonesome Hollow; bibliography of local history.
X-3 May 1967: “The Diary of Roger Brooke Farquhar, Part XI,” edited by his son Roger Brooke Farquhar, Jr. Diary 1911-1913. Weather; School Board meetings; Wilson’s inauguration.
X-4 August 1967: “The Maryland Constitutional Convention of 1776,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Revolutionary government; Thomas Sprigg Wootton; William Bayly Jr.; Jonathan Willson; Elisha Williams.
XI-1 November 1967: “Cultural Activities in the Sandy Spring Area,” by Esther B. Stabler. Farmers Club; Enterprise Club; Mutual Improvement Association of Sandy Spring; Friends Schools; libraries.
XI-2 February 1968: “A History of Dawsonville and Seneca, Montgomery County, Maryland,” by Jane Chinn Sween. C&O Canal; Thomas Dawson; Benjamin Allnutt; Old Medley District; social activities.
XI-3 May 1968: “The Montgomery County Historical Society, 1968,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Inventory of the house and library.
XI-4 August 1968: “Brookeville, Montgomery County, Maryland: Part I, A History of the Brookville Academy by Elizabeth Ann Fifer; Part II, President Madison Takes Refuge in Brookeville,” compiled by Alexander Casanges. Quakers; school hours, course of study; Civil War; rules & regulations for principals and students.
XII-1 November 1968: “The Silver Spring Area, Part I,” by Mildred Newbold Getty. Churches; Francis Preston Blair; Jubal Early; Gen. Frank Wheaton; St. John’s Roman Catholic; Civil War.
XII-2 February 1969: “The Silver Spring Area, Part II,” by Mildred Getty. Linden; Woodside; Forest Glen; Schools; National Park Seminary; women’s clubs; social activities.
XII-3 May 1969: “Ninian Beall and Col. Joseph Belt,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Indian Ranger; Calvert Co. Militia; assembly delegate. Rock of Dumbarton, Friendship, Chevy Chase, other tracts; Georgetown.
XII-4 August 1969: “Let’ Visit a Montgomery County Farm in 1920,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. Farm buildings; corn cribs; poultry facilities; family garden; orchards; agricultural practices; hay making; wheat harvesting; ice storage; dairy chores; recreation, baseball teams; Rockville Fair; farm women.
XIII-1 November 1969: “Old Chevy Chase Village,” by Edith Claude Jarvis. Early residents; origin of name; Chevy Chase Lake and Land Company.
XIII-2 February 1970: “National Park Seminary,” by Mildred Getty. Cassedy, founders; Smith College affiliation; dress code, code of conduct; sororities; curriculum; social activities; tuition.
XIII-3 May 1970: “Montgomery County Courthouses,” by Mary Gordon Malloy and Martha Sprigg Poole. Early officials; early court cases and punishments; description of buildings and furniture.
XIII-4 August 1970: “Their Name Was Magruder,” by Martha Sprigg Poole. American Clan Gregor Society; MacGregor clan; Revolution activities; Magruder family; Locust Grove.
XIV-1 November 1970: “Wheaton,” by Mildred Newbold Getty. Mitchells Crossroads; Civil War; Jubal Early; Lew Wallace; Gen. Frank Wheaton; Cissel family; businesses.
XIV-2 February 1971: “Family Burying Grounds in Montgomery County, Maryland,” by Linda Layman. Query, Holland, Shoemaker, Crabb, Young, Dorsey, Claggett and Owen families.
XIV-3 May 1971: “The Village of Sandy Spring. Maryland,” by Mary Reading Miller. Origin of name; Snowdens Manor; Meeting House; Harewood; Auburn; Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
XIV-4 August 1971: “The Montgomery County Federation of Women’s Clubs,” by Lee Crippen. Social Service goals; WWII efforts; list of clubs and presidents.
XV-1 November 1971: “Seneca,” by Jane Chinn Sween. Brightwell’s Hunting Quarter; Oakland; Montevideo; Rockland; C&O Canal; Seneca Mill; business establishments; Civil War; Families: Peter, Nourse, West, Darby, Broome, Tschiffely.
XV-2 February 1972: “The Story of Judge Richard Johns Bowie, Chief Judge of Maryland, 1861-1867,” by Leslie Morgan Abbe. Glenview Mansion; the Hermitage; Johns family; Whig Party, 1834-1854; Christ Episcopal Church, Rockville; Oatland (Olney); Land Patents; 1851 Maryland Constitution; Civil War incident.
XV-3 May 1972: “The Gold Mines of Montgomery County,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons, and “The Gilmore Mica Mine of Montgomery County,” by Mr. David H. Schaffer. Silver Spring origin, legends, history, Springbrook Forest Community.
XV-4 August 1972: “Barnesville, Maryland-Since 1747”, Perrie Family, Barnesville Academy, “Reminiscences of the Civil War” by Mollie Hays Jones. J.E.B. Stuart; Sellman’s Train Station; Baptist Church; Hays, Trail, Hilton families.
XV-5 November 1972: “Maryland Methodism and the Jerusalem United Methodist Church, Rockville, Maryland, c. 1780-1915,” by Eileen McGuckian. Early trustees and preachers; circuit riders; slavery; Methodist Church discipline & schism; names of Negro families.
XVI-1 February 1973: “The Building of the Cabin John Bridge,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. Montgomery C. Meigs; William R. Hutton; Washington Aqueduct; Bobinger family; James Buchanan Horne; stonecutters; Union Arch; Cabin John Hotel.
XVI-2 May 1973: “Montgomery County’s Big Ditch and the Iron Monster,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. C&O Canal; B&O Railroad; Charles Carroll; Patowmack Canal Company; Irish Canal workers; C&O National History Park.
XVI-3 August 1973: “Memories of Garrett Park,” by Mrs. Jason F. Defandorf (1863-1961). Metropolitan line of the B&O railroad; tramps; Garrett family; Strathmore Rd.; Rockville Pike; Connecticut Ave; Irene Temple Bailey; Herman Hollerith, inventor; Jennie Cooper Wilson and other musicians; Episcopalian church services and Catholic Sunday School; Flack farm; White Flint Golf Course; Rock Creek; Civic Study Club; women’s suffrage; one room, then two-room school house; house calls by Dr. Lewis; Harry Hoskinson’s store; farms shipped milk to D.C.; hurricane destroyed windmills in 1895.
XVI-4 November 1973: “Women in the History of Montgomery County, 1776-1861,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. Changing role of women; Sandy Spring: Association for Mutual Improvement, Womens Suffrage Association of Sandy Spring, Bible classes, library establishment; Mrs. Elden J. Hartshorn; Dr. Lauretta Kress; Mrs. Dawson Trundle, first woman on school board; Mrs. Dorothy Himstead; Kathryn Lawlor Shook, first judge; Madonna of the Trail; Margaret Brent; church and vestry; Sarah Price and Sarah Hyatt founded Christian Church in Hyattstown; Ruth Hunt, wife of Rev. James Hunt, preceptor of Tusculum Academy; female academies: Fair Hill School to National Park Seminary (twelve listed); public schools established in 1838.
17-1 February 1974: “Gott Family of Montgomery County,” by Mary Gott. Boyds area; tobacco culture; agricultural practices; Montgomery County Agricultural Society; Gott’s Mill; Mount Carmel; slavery and slave housing; Locust Grove; Civil War activities; southern sympathizers; Poolesville.
17-2 May 1974: “History of the Street Car Lines of Montgomery County,” by William J. Ellenberger. Tenallytown and Rockville Railroad; Alta Vista; Bethesda Park; Chestnut Lodge Sanitarium; Washington and Great Falls Electric Railway; Glen Echo; Cabin John; Washington and Great Falls Railway and Power Company; Rock Creek Railway Company; Glen Echo Railway; Kensington Railway; Brightwood Railway; Trolley Museum.
17-3 August 1974: “The Audubon Naturalist Society and Its Home, Woodend,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. John James Audubon, Birds of America; Federal wildlife refuge opened by Theodore Roosevelt; environmental laws to protect birds passed in 1901; Clean Drinking Manor; Courts and Jones family; John Russell Pope, architect.
17-4 November 1974: “Woodlawn Hotel-Chestnut Lodge Sanitarium, The Bullard Dynasty; Rose Hill” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. Mary Colley, first proprietor; Henry N. Copp, promoter; Dr. Ernest Luther Bullard, psychiatric care; Wootton and Mines families; Lewis Beall; illustration.
18-1 February 1975: “’Uncle Tom,’ in Montgomery County, Part I,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. Rev. Josiah Henson’s memoirs; biography of Harriet Beecher Stowe; Isaac Riley; Adam Robb; abolitionist movement; Brice Letton.
18-2 May 1975: “’Uncle Tom’ in Montgomery County, Part II,” by Mrs. Neal Fitzsimons. Includes extracts from Josiah Henson’s memoirs; Uncle Tom’s Cabin in Ontario and on Old Georgetown Road, Montgomery County.
18-3 August 1975: “The Rockville Fair,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. History of agricultural fair; lists society officers in 1846 and winners of premiums in 1856; exhibition of airplanes and gliders from Congressional Airport in 1931; Depression and ban on betting on horse races blamed for cessation.
18-4 November 1975: “Richard Montgomery, Namesake of Montgomery County, Maryland,” by Georgette S. Gleason. Montgomery family; Revolutionary War hero.
19-1 February 1976: “The Maryland Line,” by Neal Fitzsimons. Maryland Revolutionary Army; militia and continentals; Mordecai Gist; Col. William Smallwood; Reazin Beall; Otho Williams; Michael Cresap; Revolutionary War battles involving Montgomery County troops; partial list of Montgomery County Revolutionary War Veterans.
19-2 May 1976: “The Men of the Hungerford Resolves,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Hungerford Tavern; Henry Griffith, Thomas Sprigg Wootton, Nathan Magruder, Zadock Magruder, Evan Thomas, Richard Brooke, Richard Thomas, William Baker, Thomas Cramphin Sr., Allen Bowie, Jr. Committee of Observation.
19-3 August 1976: “Montgomery County—1776,” by Dr. Richard K. MacMaster and Ray E. Hiebert. Rockville history; Charles Hungerford’s Tavern; Revolutionary leaders; militia recruitment; Germantown, PA militia action; Michael Cockendorfer Tavern on Chevy Chase; stocking mill, linen factory in Georgetown; John Yost, gunsmith; Glasgow Tobacco trade; Richardsons Georgetown flour mill, suppliers for army.
19-4 November 1976: “Clara Barton’s Glen Echo Home from Past to Present,” by Joan Caravaggio. Biography. Teacher; Civil War; Red Cross; Chautauqua; First Aid Society; medical care.
20-1 February 1977: “The Talbott House and Its People,” by Leslie Morgan Abbe and “The History of Mount Pleasant,” by Walter V. Ball. Talbott, Whitaker and Cissell families; Civil War.
20-2 May 1977: “The Town of Somerset,” by Dorothy O’Brien and Helen H. Jaszi. Founded by five government scientists; Friendship tract; lack of utilities & schools in early days; laws; town plat.
20-3 August 1977: “The Secession Crisis of 1860-1861,” by Dr. Carolyn McCreesh. Attitudes toward slavery; pro-Union sentiment; impact of Missouri Compromise; Lincoln’s election; Maryland legislature; Confederate activity.
20-4 November 1977: “Lilly Moore Stone, Founder of the Montgomery County Historical Society,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Glenmore, Moore and Stone families; Fortnightly Club; Stoneyhurst; Quarry; DAR.
21-1 February 1978: “A History of the Fair Hill Boarding Schools,” by Dorothy Pugh. Foundation and management; influence of Quaker values; education; private schools; Benjamin Hallowell; Farquhar family; curriculum; effect of Civil War.
21-2 May 1978: “The Darnall Place,” by Mary Ann Kephart. Sugarlands; Daniel Veirs; Thos. Darnall; Samuel Dyson; Eugene Casey.
21-3 August 1978: “The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission,” by Arthur P. Brigham. Asa Phillips; Emory H. Bogley; William T.S. Curtis; T. Howard Duckett; Prince George”s County and Washington D.C.
21-4 November 1978: “Colonel Elijah Veirs White, Part I,” by Charles and Marian Waters Jacobs. Civil War service; ancestry; Stony Castle;” Loudoun County, Va.; disagreement with J.E.B. Stuart.
22-1 February 1979: “Colonel Elijah Veirs White, Part II,” by Charles and Marian Waters Jacobs. Col. E. White’s battalion dubbed ‘Comanches;’ resistance after Appomattox; duties as Baptist preacher; descendants.
22-2 May 1979: “Early Montgomery County Schoolhouses,” by Donald M. Leavitt. Public education since 1860; gender segregation; architecture and interior design; Rockville and Brookville Academies; Seneca, Kingsley, Montrose and Pooles Tract Schools.
22-3 August 1979: “The David W. Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Built to experiment on model ships. Moved to Carderock. Construction of Cabin John Gardens.
22-4 November 1979: “The Northwest Hundred: Family and Society on the Maryland Frontier,” by Carol Ely. Influence of tobacco culture; land speculation and settlement; Quakers; Scottish Covenanters; Catholic settlers; English plantation society; indentures and slavery; hundreds defined; Barrett, Carroll families.
23-1 February 1980: “Montgomery General—America’s Most Rural Hospital,” by Thomas Y. Canby. Dr. Bird; ladies auxiliary; influenza epidemic; sources of financing; growth.
23-2 May 1980: “Noah Edward Clarke, Crusader for Black Education,” by Nina Honemond Clarke. Free black settlements; early life; Clarke’s musical ability, education, marriage and family.
23-3 August 1980: “The Church That Named Bethesda and Other Nineteenth-Century Bethesda Churches.” Churches: Potomac, Cabin John, Cedar Grove, Bethesda Meeting House, other Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal and Presbyterian Churches; Thomas Cramphin; Edward Offutt; John Brackenridge; Revs. Hugh Conn, John Orme, James Hunt.
23-4 November 1980: “Roots for the New Neighborhood of Beau Monde Estates,” by Margaret M. Coleman. Clarksburg; Waters, Linthicum and Dowden families; Pleasant Fields, Poplar Spring, Errors Corrected; Seneca Ayr Farm; Cow Pasture.
24-1 February 1981: “The Adventures of a Revolutionary Hero,” by Samuel G. Mathews. Griffith and Howard families; naval misadventure of Charles Griffith: sold to slavery by ship pirates.
24-2 May 1981: “Richard Montgomery High School,” by E. Guy Jewell. Lincoln High school; Negro education; Manual training school 1901; public schools; Governor Warfield; fairgrounds; Rockville Athletic Association; athletics interschool.
24-3 August 1981: “Suburban Summer Resorts, 1870-1910, Part I,” by Andrea Price Stevens. B&O Rail Road; C&O Canal; Cabin John Bridge & Hotel; Glen Echo; Rock Spring Hotel; Crommelin House (Great Falls Tavern); Baltzley family; Paw-taw-o-mick (Glen Echo café); Conduit Road; casinos.
24-4 November 1981: “Suburban Summer Resorts, 1870-1910, Part II,” by Andrea Price Stevens. Albany House (Washington Grove); Methodist Church; Bethesda Park; Rock Creek Rail Road; Woodlawn Hotel, Chestnut Lodge; Fleet Staley Boarding House; Tenallytown and Rockville Railroad; Gen. Richard Drumm; the Forest Inn, National Park Seminary; Chevy Chase Inn (Spring Hotel); Chevy Chase Land Co.; Francis Newlands; Chevy Chase Junior College; Chevy Chase Lake.
25-1 February 1982: “Darnestown, As It Was,” by Jane Chinn Sween. Ninian Beall; John Candler; Pleasant Hills, Mt. Pleasant, Montanverde; Darnestown & Neelsville Presbyterian; Andrew Small Academy; Gassaway, Leeke, Dowd, Edwards, Hawkins, Kelley, Darne, Vinson, Fisher, Reed, Nourse, Peter and Darby families.
25-2 May 1982: “Benjamin Hallowell, Quaker Educator,” by Dorothy Pugh. Biography; Fair Hill Boarding School; Farquhar, Miller & Hallowell families; public lectures at the Lyceum; Quaker views on slavery, religion; Rockland, home and girls boarding school; Olney; Sandy Spring; Farmer’s Club; Alexandria Boarding School; founding of Swarthmore College.
25-3 August 1982: “The Montgomery Farm Women’s Cooperative Market,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Response to Great Depression; Blanche Corwin, Extension Service program agent, led Home Demonstration Clubs, out of which grew the farmer’s market; Woodward & Lothrop; Edythe Turner; Catherine Shaw; Lillian Matson; Marjorie Hedges; Lillian Shillinger; Louise K. Mindeleff; Howard England; Leon Carrier; Thomas Raftery.
25-4 November 1982: “Madison House, Seat of Government for a Day,” by Jean Barfield and Alice Koch. Brookeville home where President Madison sought refuge in War of 1812; Caleb & Henrietta Bentley’s home; families; Snowden’s Manor, Charley Forest, Longwood, Pleasant Hill; Brooke, Thomas, Riggs, Bowie, Garrigues and Snowden families; Gene Archer.
26-1 February 1983: “The War of 1812 and Its Effect on Montgomery County,” by John H. McGarry III. Maryland militia units in the war; their failure in Washington D.C., and triumph in Baltimore; significance for the war.
26-2 May 1983: “The Briarly Hall Schools,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Female education; Mary Porter, founder; Mary Elizabeth Farrow Gassaway; Theodora Ames Hooker; Sydney Johnston Lodge; Military Academy.
26-3 August 1983: “The Escape and Capture of George A. Atzerodt,” by Edward Steers, Jr. John Wilkes Booth; Lewis (Powell) Paine; Davy Herold; Lincoln assassination; Germantown; Lucinda Metz; William Gaither; Francis Clopper; Robert Kinder; Hartman Richter; Hezekiah Metz; Andrew Atwood; John C. Atzerodt.
26-4 November 1983: “The Turbulent History of Locust Grove,” by John M. Walton, Jr. Samuel Wade Magruder; William Wirt’s memories; “Magruder’s Discovery,” Lloyd Magruder; Locust Grove; saw & grist mills; Trolley car line from Tenallytown to Rockville; Cabin John Mall Associates.
27-1 February 1984: “Montgomery County’s First Garden Apartments,” by Mark Walston. Elm Avenue, Avondale, Falkland, Blair Park, Spring Garden, Piney Branch and Bradley Terrace Apartments; Hampden Hall; Takoma Park, Bethesda, Silver Spring; population growth; public pressure for apartment housing; FHA projects; Morris & Van Tiel Bien; Dr. William Bashore; William D. Blair; Morris Miller; Riley Evers.
27-2 May 1984: “The Families of a Derwood Farm through Two Centuries,” by Anne W. Cissel. Rileys Tavern at Windsor Forest; Hungerford Tavern; Owens Ordinary; Josiah Henson; Riley, Lamar, Wilson, Hunter and Windsor families; W. Lawson King Farm; Rebecca Fields & family; Hackaliah Bailey & Bailey’s Crossroads.
27-3 August 1984: “A Survey of Slave Housing in Montgomery County,” by Mark Walston. Slavery, population 1790 through 1860; The Ridge; Beall-Dawson House; Susanna Farm near Dawsonville; Needwood Mansion; Edgehill; Oakley near Brookeville; Darnall farm; Frederick Poole Farm near Poolesville; Riverview near Seneca; Mount Carmel; East Oaks; Annington.
27-4 November 1984: “Remembrances of Life along the Rockville Pike during the Civil War,” by Virginia Campbell Moore. Southern sympathizers in Montgomery County; Ingle and Moore families; War of 1812, burning of Washington, D.C. 1814; Bethesda; Washington and Georgetown Turnpike.
28-1 February 1985: “The Valley Mill on Paint Branch,” by Michael F. Dwyer. Snowden’s Mill; Paint Branch; mill technology; wheat and flour trade; tobacco trade; Kemps Mill; Paint Branch Woolen factory; Valley Mill Day Camp; Bear Garden Enlarged; Edmonston’s Mill.
28-2 May 1985: “A Rockville Journal; Part I-Years of Controversy, 1856-1860,” by the History Committee of MCHS: Anne Cissel, Mary Charlotte Crook, Charles and Marian Jacobs, Anne Keiser and Jane Sween. Written as a diary describing events, social customs, attitudes, places and people; slavery and John Brown.
28-3 July/August 1985: “A Rockville Journal; Part II-Years of Controversy, 1861-1865,” ibid. A continuation of the diary describing the Civil War years, ending with Lincolns assassination. John DuFief; Rev. Lorenzo Russell’s resignation; Beall sisters; Southern Methodist Church; Matthew Fields in Old Capitol Prison; General Jubal Early’s army; 1865 map of Rockville by Rita Crocker.
28-4 November 1985: “The Early History of River Road,” by Sheila Cochran. Georgetown; Seneca; Poolesville; Offutt’s Crossroads, now Potomac; Swain’s Lock; Pennyfield Lock, a.k.a. Muddy Branch Lock; Tobytown; Tobias Martin and William Davis families; emancipated slaves; Daniel Dulaney’s “Middle Plantation;” Raymond Poole’s store & feed business; Upton Darby; W. B. Tschiffely’s Mill; Stone cutting mill; Brightwell’s Hunting Quarter; Seneca Schoolhouse; Montevideo; Peter family; James Trundle home; Sycamore Landing; grain shipment by canal; Izack Walton League; Mount Nebo; Edward’s Ferry; Preston March; Indulgence; Benjamin Edward’s Ferry; Conrad’s Ferry, now White’s Ferry. Rita Crocker assisted with map illustration.
29-1 February 1986: “Pre-Contact Indians of Montgomery County,” by Mark Walston. Potomac River Indians; archaeological evidence of settlement; soapstone artifacts; Woodland Indian culture; Shepard Site; Mason Island; Piscataway Empire; Monongahela complex; Susquehannock and Iroquois Chiefdoms.
29-2 May 1986: “Hyattstown, A Roadside Town Preserved,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Jesse Hyatt developed town, incorporated in 1809. Description of churches, economy, doctors and recreation. “The Glen Echo Amusement Park,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. The Baltzley twins purchased land for a national Chautauqua which opened in summer 1891 for one season, then became park. Featured carousel, roller coaster, Crystal Pool and Spanish Ballroom.
29-3 May 1986: “The Glen Echo Amusement Park,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. The Baltzley twins purchased land for a national Chautauqua which opened in Summer 1891 for one season, then became park. Featured a carousel, roller coaster, Crystal Pool and Spanish Ballroom.
29-4 November 1986: “Montgomery County Inventors and Inventions, 1803-1873,” by Mark Walston. History of patent office; Thomas Moore’s ice box; Henry Blair’s seed planter; Basil B. Pleasant’s mail carriage; Charles T. Anderson’s churn; list of county inventors and their inventions.
30-1 February 1987: “The National Institutes of Health–A Bethesda Landmark Celebrates Its Centennial,” by Dorothy Pugh. Formation from Marine Hospital Service to NIH; land from Luke Ingalls Wilson, George Freeland Peter, Sisters of the Visitation, Town & Country Golf Club; Nobel Prize Winners: Drs. Marshall Nirenberg, Carelton Gajdusek, Julius Axelrod; National Library of Medicine history.
30-2 May 1987: “Maryland and Montgomery County in the Evolution of the United States Constitution,” by Jane C. Sween. Summarizes the events leading to the Constitutional Convention and ratification by the State of Maryland. Identifies local citizens involved: Daniel Carroll, Thomas Cramphin, William Deakins, Benjamin Edwards, Richard Thomas, Edward Burgess, Henry Griffith, Lawrence O’Neale and William Holmes.
30-3 August 1987: “Public Houses of Entertainment and Their Proprietors, 1750-1828,” by Anne W. Cissel. Adam Robb, Montgomery Court House (Williamsburg) tavern keeper; family relationships; licensure & regulation by State Assembly; Thomas Clarke; William Sands Eagle Tavern in Rockville; Owens Ordinary; list of licenses issued to tavern-keepers; Peters Tavern, Hyattstown; Dowdens Ordinary, Clarksburg; Hungerford Tavern.
30-4 November 1987: “Dr. Edward Elisha Stonestreet, A Nineteenth-Century County Doctor,” by F. Terry Hambrecht, M.D. Civil War medicine; medical exemptions to draft; care of wounded from Battle of Antietam.
31-1 February 1988: “Emory Grove, A Black Community of Yesteryear.” Camp meetings; Washington Grove; United Methodist Church; African American post Civil War population; early education opportunities; Supreme Court Decision of 1954; Early African American families: Duvall, Dorsey, Lancaster, Frazier; Church music; Emory Grove Road; Edward Ulysses Taylor; Rosenwald Schools; Edith Throckmorton; Longview Elementary School; Proprietors of small businesses; Johnson Tavern; Post World War II opportunities; First night Baseball.
31-2 May 1988: “Mount Nebo and the Fletchall Family,” by Sheila Cochran. Edward’s Ferry; families: Chiswell, Gattons, Hickmans, White; Widows Mite, Poor Tom’s Last Shift, Two Brothers, Flints Grove, Hickman’s Discovery, Brightwells Hunting Quarter, Mount Ararat, Cors Basket, Brandy, Indulgence, Magruder and Beall’s Honesty; Sugarland Road, later River Road; early farm practices; tobacco marketing; early county commissioners; slave ownership; Civil War incident; Oliver Wendell Holmes; Chris Heffelfinger.
31-3 August 1988: “The Rockville Academy,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Early education; Rev. James Hunt; Tusculum; Rev. John Brackenridge; John Mines; Rose Hill; Presbyterian Church of Cabin John and Bethesda; school curriculum; discipline; Julius West’s contribution; Cooke Luckett; William Pinkney Mason.
31-4 November 1988: “Ghost Stories of Montgomery County,” by Dorothy Pugh. MCHS building; Needwood Mansion; River Road; Harker Preparatory School; Gold mines; Whites Ferry; Seneca; Layton House; Brookeville; Greenwood; Ashton; Auburn; Avalon.
32-1 February 1989: “Haiti, A Historic Black Community,” by Eileen McGuckian. Samuel Martin and Martins Lane; the Beall family; slavery; Alfred Ross family; Beall estate in Rockville.
32-2 May 1989: “Rose O’Neale Greenhow, Confederate Spy,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. O’Neale family; political ties to Confederacy; needlework with messages; life in Europe.
32-3 August 1989: “Summit Hall: 230 Years from Logtown to Summit Hall Farm Park,” by Anne W. Cissel. Early settlement in heart of Gaithersburg; tobacco plantations in 1750s; Logtown; Civil War; DeSellum family; Fulk family; Gen. J.E.B. Stuart; grass crops & farming.
32-4 November 1989: “Brooke Beall, First Clerk of the Court for Montgomery County,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Beall family; Charles and William, Labyrinth, Beall Mount, Boilstones Discovery, Piney Grove; George Town; Samuel Davidson; Evermay Home.
33-1 February 1990: “The Potomac Hunt,” by Valentine C. Wilson. Fox hunting; De La Brooke; Dunblane Hunt; Chevy Chase Hunt, Chevy Chase Club, Senator Newlands; Bradley Farms; Clarence Moore; Samuel Henry; Nicholas Longworth; Titanic accident; Rock Creek Park.
33-2 May 1990: “Astronomer Edwin Smith and the County Observatories,” by Anne W. Cissel. Gaithersburg; Lucy Smith; Edwin Smith House; Rockville; Lilith; Chestnut Lodge.
33-3 August 1990: “The Tale of Triadelphia, The Town Beneath the Lake,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Patuxent River; Bentley, Briggs, Moore, Brooke families; National Road; Tract: What’s Left; Triadelphia Cotton Factory; Montgomery Company; Thomas Lansdale’s factory & family; map of Triadelphia; blacksmiths; Johnstown Flood; Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission; Triadelphia Cemetery.
33-4 November 1990: “Early Water Mills in Montgomery County,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Milling; mill stones; fulling mills; saw mill; mills: Snowden’s, Graff’s, Middlebrook, Hyattstown, Goshen; Hermitage, The Gift, Seneca Ford, Fox Hall Lost Britches, Timber Neck, Resurvey on Pleasant Valley and Pleasant Fields, Good Port, Hillsborough, The Fork, Treed Land, Ivy Reach, Resurvey on Benjamin Square; Cornelius Elting; Seneca Creek, other waterways.
34-1 February 1991: “Newport Mill,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Rock Creek. Bersheba, Joseph’s Park, Dan; Becraft and Beall families; Thomas Clelands Mill.
34-2 May 1991: “The Early Towns of Montgomery County, 1747-1831,” by Jean B. Russo. Rock Creek; Tobacco Inspection Warehouse; Georgetown; Rockville, Williamsburg; Lawyers; Physicians; tailors; boarding houses; Farre’s Hotel; Rockville Academy; St. Mary’s Church; Rockville Baptist Church; early newspapers; Logtown; Barnesville; Brookeville; Hyattstown; Clarksburg; Goshen; Methodist Chapel; Poolesville; Poole family.
34-3 August 1991: “Bethesda Park: ‘The Handsomest Park in the United States,’” by William G. Allman. Metropolitan Branch, B&O Railroad; amusement park; bicycle races.
34-4 November 1991: “Tragedy of Two Cousins–Adventurers or Spies?” by Patrick J. Griffin, III. Confederacy; Civil War; Walter Gibson Peter; Col. William Orton Williams.
35-1 February 1992: “Black Builders in Montgomery County 1865-1940,” by Eileen McGuckian. African American Communities: Big Woods, Dickerson, Mt. Ephraim at Sugarloaf Mountain, Sandy Spring and Haiti in Rockville. Alfred Ross house; Martin’s Lane; Beall slaves; Reuben Hill house; Kleindienst Hotel; Jerusalem Church; A.M.E. Churches; Scotland A.M.E. Church; John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church; Clarksburg; Sharp Street School.
35-2 May 1992: “Walter Perry Johnson,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. Baseball;Washington Nationals; Germantown farm.
35-3 August 1992: “Montgomery College in Its Formative Years 1947-1979,” by William C. Strasser Jr. Montgomery County Board of Education; Veterans benefits; Dr. Bernice F. Pierson; AAUW; Coach Frank Rubini; Bliss Electrical School; U.S. Navy contract to train electricians mates in 1951; Irvin H. Schick, Hugh Price; Donald E. Deyo; Carver High School-Junior College in 1952; curriculum; U.S. Supreme Court decision of 1954; Montgomery Symphony Orchestra begun in 1947; Light Opera Association affiliated with college; Dr. George A. Hodson; William C. Strasser Jr.
35-4 November 1992: “The Story of Burnt Mills,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook.
Samuel D. Waters; Samuel Beall Jr.; Beall family; tracts: “Mill Seat” Enlargement, Hardings Choice. Walter Beall; Bealls Industry; Peter Kemp; James Willson Perry; William Canby; Nathan Loughborough; James L. Bond; mill technology; Isaac R. Maus; post office of Burnt Mills; Washington, Colesville and Ashton Turnpike; Four Corners post office; William E. Mannakee; plat of Bealls Industry and Enlargement; G.W. Bready Milling Co., George Bready.
36-1 February 1993: “Colesville–In The Beginning,” by Ned Bayley. New Hampshire and Randolph Roads; Edmonston, Beall, Berry and Snowden families; plat of original tracts: Easy Purchase, Drumeldry, Wolf’s Den, James and Mary, Ballchrist, Snowden’s Fourth Addition to His Manor, Snowden’s Mill, Beall’s Manor, Hamburgh, Berry’s Meadow, Two Farms, Bell Town, Garrison’s Landing; Bladensburg; road overseers; Thomas Case; James Odell; Charles Williams; Jeremiah Orme; Evan Thomas; Dr. Duvall’s Mill; Francis Valdenear’s Mill; Edward Dawes store; Ninian Edmonston’s Mill; Valley Mill Park; James Rawling, postmaster; Thomas Fawcett; wool carding and manufacturing business; tavern stand; John T. Baker.
36-2 May 1993: “Matthew Fields and the Montgomery County Sentinel,” by Charles and Marian Waters Jacobs. Fields family; Jesse Leach; Maryland Journal and True American; local and national politics; Know Nothings, Democratic and Republican parties; advertisers; jeweler J.W. Galt; William E. Pumphrey and James R. Norton partnership; slave traders Charles M. Price and Owen Sheckell; legal notices; Montgomery Advocate; Montgomery County Agricultural Fair: prizes for horses, mules, handicrafts, dairy; Daniel E. Sickles, murder of Philip Barton Key over affair with Mrs. Sickles; Pro-Confederacy sympathy; Col. Charles F. Stone; Gen. Nathaniel Banks; Isaac Young; W. Veirs Bouic; John Brewer; Levin Hoskinson; George Franklin Dove; Samuel Matlock, printers who joined Confederate units; arrest of editor for disloyalty during Civil War; abolitionists; General Jubal Early in Cuba.
36-3 August 1993: “The Confederate Monument and Its Symbolism,” by Susan C. Soderberg. Monocacy Cemetery, Beallsville; Richard Poole Hayes; E.V. White Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy; Elgar Tschiffely; Frank Kilgour; Falvey Granite Co.; Damascus Cornet Band; history of “Maryland, My Maryland,” State Seal and State Flag; Montgomery Blair; William Veirs Bouic; George Peter; Confederate Veterans; Ridgely Brown Camp; ‘Old Line State.’
36-4 November 1993: “Land Speculators: James Butler and John Bradford,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. William Joseph; Col. Henry Darnall; Thomas Brooke; Charles Carroll; Daniel Dulaney; Hermitage, Joseph’s Park, Charley Forest, Brightwell’s Hunting Quarter, Generosity, Bradford’s Rest; Butler family; John Hyde, factor to merchant in London; Bradford family; Rev. John Fraser; Seneca; Henry Thickpenny & John Garth leases.
37-1 February 1994: “Train Stations and Suburban Development along the Old Baltimore and Ohio Railroad,” by Jo Beck. B&O Railroad, Metropolitan Branch; Point of Rocks; opened up land development; 26 stations from Garrett Park; now run by CSX; Harry Meems, Station master at Dickerson; soldiers at Monocacy River in WWII; train accident Dickerson; Washington Grove 1872 Methodist Camp meeting; Germantown Station; Bowman’s Brothers flour mill; Silver Leaf Flour; Rockville Station; Peerless Rockville; Silver Spring summer home of Francis Preston Blair; Sam Eig, first shopping centers in 1940s.
37-2 May 1994: “Apprentice and Master in Montgomery County 1779 to 1840,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Three types of bondage: apprentices, indentured servants and slavery; records of orphans’ court; apprenticeship trades.
37-3 August 1994: “Those Amazing Keys: Francis Scott Key and F. Scott Key Fitzgerald,” by Anne W. Cissel. Key family; relationship to Montgomery County.
37-4 November 1994: “Beall and Edmonstons’ Discovery to Wheaton Regional Park: 1776-1994,” by Florence Bayly Dewitt Howard. Brookville Pike; Joseph Park; Hermitage; land patent disputes; Shawfield, Stubbs, Orme and Murdock Families.
38-1 February 1995: “The Underground Railroad in Montgomery County,” by Anthony M. Cohen. Montgomery County slaves were aided in their escape to freedom through various routes by county abolitionists. Sandy Spring Quakers and residents provided one safe haven.
38-2 May 1995: “Miracle in Bethesda,” by William M. Offutt. Two navy warplanes flew over Bethesda Hospital and collided. Pilot Robert Juhl landed damaged plane at Bolling Field. Charles W. Arnott crashed at Edgemoor and Wisconsin Avenue. Includes eye witness accounts, pilots view and photographs.
38-3 August 1995: “Divorce in Montgomery County 1776-1894,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Types of, and reasons for, divorce; property ownership by women; child custody; domestic abuse; bigamy; alimony.
38-4 November 1995: “My Childhood in Montgomery County,” by Ora Dale Watkins Musgrove. Browningsville and Bethesda; Watkins and Broadhurst families; Bethel Methodist Church; Dr. Philip F. Lansdale; Bennett Creek; children’s activities, education; Order of Good Templars; sleigh rides; flower and vegetable gardens.
39-1 February 1996: “The 19th Century General Store in Montgomery County,” by Susan C. Soderberg. General stores evolved from trading posts in mid 19th century, often family businesses: Thompson, Wilson, Fowler, Poole, Allnutt, Lewis, Hays, Veirs, Higgins and Magruder families; Sellman’s store in Clarksburg; stores in Poolesville; Bentley store in Brookeville; Goshen store; Beards store in Oakmont, across Railroad tracks from Washington Grove; Carson Ward and Walker stores in Gaithersburg; Garrett Park store.
39-2 May 1996: “The Two Avenel Farms and the Rapley Family,” by Mary Charlotte Crook. National Theatre; land acquisition west of New Hampshire Ave.; horse breeding operations; Montgomery County Agricultural Society and annual fair horse races; cattle farming; Potomac Community of Avenel.
39-3 August 1996: “Asbury Methodist Village,” by Marshall Grotenhuis. Martha & Rev. J. Benjamin Perrie of Methodist Episcopal Church South; dairy farm ‘Rolling Acres’ of Walter Magruder; Russell Edward Mitchell, architect; Rev. Herman & Lillian Wilson.
39-4 November 1996: “The Business World in Montgomery County 1830 to 1850,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Personal banking practices; C&O Canal and transportation; tavern and inn licenses; Crommelin House, lockkeeper Walter W. Fenlon; Rockville taverns; essential craftsmen: coopers, saddlers, butchers; Michael Letton; engraver Edward Stabler; mills for plaster, clover, grist, bone, and sawmills; woolen and paper factories.
40-1 February 1997: “Civil War Fords and Ferries in Montgomery County,” by Charles T. Jacobs. Antebellum social and economic importance; list and map; major Confederate crossings.
40-2 May 1997: “The Selling of Woodside Park,” by Robert E. Oshel. Crosby S. Noyes; Alton Farm; automobile influence on suburban development; advertising and promotion; prominent architects.
40-3 August 1997: “An Englishwoman Visits Montgomery County in 1830,” by Jane C. Sween. Frances Trollope visited Mrs. Stone, and described socio-economic living conditions in county.
40-4 November 1997: “The Land Divided and Mapped,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Method of obtaining and patenting tracts; irregular surveys explained; matching old tracts to present property lines.
41-1 February 1998: “Washington Grove: A Rustic Jewel in a Modern Setting,” by Joan F. Marsh. Early Methodist Camp Meeting movement and circuit riders; Foundry Methodist Church; Chautauqua site; development post -WWII.
41-2 May 1998: “The Almshouse, Later Called the ‘County Home,’ 1789-1949: A History of Poor Relief in Montgomery County,” by Patricia Abelard Andersen. Social welfare; trustees of the poor; ‘Wheel of Fortune;’ James A. Shaw; Cephas Hardy; poorhouse families.
41-3 August 1998: “Crimes in Montgomery County,” by Emily Clare Newby Correll. Early punishments included whipping; hanging of William Vermillion for horse stealing; racial issues, lynching of George Peck, rape of Lily Tschiffely; bank robbery in Sandy Spring; Guy Vernon Thompson’s hanging for James Bolton’s murder; Chevy Chase Car Barn Murders.
41-4 November 1998: “Georgetown: Jewel of Montgomery County–Part I,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Early land tracts; Rock of Dumbarton; maps and plats; tobacco warehouses; Matthew Hopkins’ inventory included library; convict servants; Mary Matthews Threlkeld; Henry Threlkeld; George Gordon and George Beall; Charles Beatty, other tract owners; John Yost, gunsmith; Beatty’s & Hawkins Addition; development to 1783.
42-1 February 1999: “Georgetown: Jewel of Montgomery County–Part II,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. History from 1783 to 1800. Wealthy citizens: William Deakins, Jr., Thomas Johns and Thomas Beall of George; Robert Peter agent for John Glasford & Co.; map of Georgetown; ships at Georgetown & their owners; tobacco, lumber and pig iron exports; Catholic & Presbyterian Church histories; George Washington’s Potowmack Canal Company; newspaper and taverns; Valentine
Reintzel, saddler; Thomas Corcoran, boot and shoe maker.
42-2 May 1999: “No Gain: Portrait of a Family Farm,” by William M. LeoGrand. Chevy Chase Land Co.; Ray, McCubbin, Marshall, Allison, Anderson, Hodges families; Clopper’s Mill; Calhoun’s, Castle; Agricultural census 1860, 1880.
42-3 August 1999: “William Henry Holmes and ‘Holmescroft,’” by Joan F. Marsh. Archaeology, Montgomery County; Olney; Mills, Wootton’s Mill and family; Holmes’ paintings; soapstone; Charles Veirs; career with National Museum and as curator of National Gallery of Art.
42-4 November 1999: “Life in Montgomery County at the Turn of the Last Century,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Cedar Grove; Sears & Roebuck Catalogues; appliances; fashions; salaries; Sentinel Newspaper; automobiles; medicines, illness; church; baseball; holidays; crimes; clubs; United Daughters of the Confederacy.
43-1 February 2000: “William Wallace Welsh and His Rockville Store,” by James P. Collins. The ups and downs of a successful general store owner.
43-2 May 2000: “The Resurrection of ‘Scotland,’” by Harvey A. Levine. The struggle to preserve a black community as it is surrounded by suburban development.
43-3 August 2000: “History of the Capital Beltway in Montgomery County,” by Jeremy L. Korr. How the Beltway came to be built, the reasons for it, and alternatives considered.
43-4 November 2000: “Love and Courtship at the Turn of the Last Century,” by Patricia Abelard Andersen. A collection of letters from suitors, including Griffith Rabbitt, to a young woman, Catherine Edna Beall, daughter of Cornelius Beall. Early Washington commuters for employment.
44-1 February 2001: “A New Look At Early Rockville and Its People,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Freed slaves; taverns and early development; Arthur Nelson; Williams family; Leonard Davis; Honore Martin; Adam Robb; land tracts: Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged, Young Mans Delight.
44-2 May 2001: “White’s Ferry,” by Mary Ann Kephart. Land tracts: Accord, Discord and Concord; Isaac Hite; Daniel Dulaney; Conrad Myers; Leonard Deakins; Stephen N. C. White; Elijah Veirs White; Raymond Jordan; C&O Canal; Conrad’s Ferry; Civil War: Jubal Early, Lt. Col. John S. Mosby.
44-3 August 2001: “The Atomic Energy Commission and Its Site at Germantown,” by Marie Hallion and Clarence Hickey. Manhattan Project; Cold War; World War II; Soviet Union; William A. Dosh; Charles T. Johnson; Shadow Lawn Farm; Architects: Voorhees, Walker, Smith and Smith; Dwight D. Eisenhower; John F. Kennedy; Glenn T. Seaborg; James R. Schlesinger; Dixy Lee Ray; wildlife, bird species; Seaborg Trail.
44-4 November 2001: “Early Days at the Chevy Chase Club,” by Joan. F. Marsh. S. S. Howland; Dumblane Hall Farm; Fox Hunting; Gustav Stickley; Metropolitan Club of Washington; Francis G. Newlands; Country Clubs : national history; Harvey Page, Architect; Goldsborough Place; ‘Belmont;’ Chevy Chase Village; Bradley Farm; Col. Joseph Belt; Ballad of Chevy Chase; Bradley family; Clarence Moore; Rock Creek Farms; the Titanic; Don Caffery Glassie; Dwight E. Davis; Golf Clubs; Washington Golf Club.
45-1 February 2002: “The Four Beall Women and Their Slaves,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Upton Beall, Beall family; Robb family; Rockville; Beallmont; Beall-Dawson House; slavery; slaves: John Henson, Hatton, Talbott, Plowden and Powell families; Glenwood, Wheel of Fortune, Walnut Hill, Prevention; Civil War; slave compensation; Dawson family.
45-2 May 2002: “Old Georgetown Road: A Historical Perspective,” by Jonathan V. Levin. Piscataway Indians; Tobacco exports; Rolling Road; Ninian Beall; tract: Rock of Dumbarton; explorers; Baron Christoph DeGraffenried; land speculators; George Washington; Monocacy River; French and Indian War; Bladensburg Road; origins of District of Columbia; Georgetown-Frederick Road; mail stage; turnpike road incorporation; Georgetown Harbor; C&O Canal; Civil War; B&O Railroad; trolley line; Georgetown & Tennallytown Railway Co.; Alta Vista terminal; Bethesda Park; Wisconsin Avenue; Rockville Pike; National Institutes of Health.
45-3 August 2002: “Farm Labor in Montgomery County during the World Wars: From ‘Farmerettes’ to Prisoners of War,” by Patricia Abelard Andersen. World War I Montgomery County Casualties; Barber family; Woman’s Land Army; Susan Ransome; Edwin Fry; ‘Fair Hill’ Mooreland farm; Willis L. Moore; German POWs; Fort George G. Meade; Emory Grove work camp; Red Cross inspections; A. W. Hines, Laytonsville farmer; conservation; air raid precautions in World War II.
45-4 November 2002: “Pleasant Fields: The Waters House,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. Waters family; Poplar Spring, Conclusion, Panther’s Range, Maidens Bower, Clean Shaving, Needwood, Anns Garden, Cooks Inheritance, Valentines Garden Enlarged, Zoar; tobacco exports; Zadock Magruder; slave ownership; Mutual Fire Insurance Company; physician’s practice; First National Bank of Gaithersburg; horse farm; race tracks; Gaithersburg Buick dealership; Agricultural Society of Montgomery County; stock market crash and Depression; Harry Hoskinson; Eric A. Johnston; Milestone family & Joint Venture.
46-1 February 2003: “Goshen and the Bridge Over Great Seneca Creek,” by Joanne E. Atay. In 1785 Ignatius Pigman surveyed seven adjoining tracts into Land of Goshen. In 1770s became hotbed of Methodist religious fervor. Fertile land for agriculture and mills.
46-2 May 2003: “The Bethesda USO,” by William M. Offutt. WWII women’s work for the war effort: sugar rationing, collecting scrap metal, visiting the wounded at Naval Medical Center and Suburban Hospital, and creating recreational facilities for service men and women. Albert Brault, Montgomery County Civil Defense Director, submitted application for regional chapter to United Service Organization. They oversaw dances, games, and holiday meals for servicemen.
46-3 August 2003: “Fire Protection in Montgomery County: Bucket Brigade to High Tech,” by Shannon Fleischer. Montgomery Mutual Fire Insurance Co.; Railroad crash 1935; Rockville, Gaithersburg-Washington Grove, Takoma Park, Kensington, Silver Spring VFDs; Fund raising; Ladies Auxiliary Clubs; women firefighters; Angelo J. Bargangni; training; lotteries.
46-4 November 2003: “A Short History of County Country Clubs,” by William M. Offutt. Originally gentleman’s clubs, resorts for wealthy, featured yachting, tennis, golf, horseback riding and hunting; growth of golf changed country club world. Chevy Chase Club; Columbia Country Club; Bethesda Country Club became Congressional Country Club; Burning Tree Club; and others.
47-1 February 2004: “8.72 Acres on Newport Mill Road,” by Eleanor M.V. Cook. The Hermitage and Joseph’s Park in Wheaton and Aspen Hill; Cook family; William Joseph, Butler family; Captain John Bradford; land leases; Samuel Hyde of London; Irish immigrant Robert Brown and family; Samuel Davidson, land speculator; Charles Anderson family; plat map.
47-2 May 2004: “Yarrow Mamout,” by James H. Johnson. Two portraits exist, one done locally in Georgetown by James Alexander Simpson and one by Charles Willson Peale. He was an African Muslim, manumitted slave of the Beall family, who owned stock in Columbia Bank.
47-3 August 2004: “Montgomery County, 1944,” by Joanna B. Church. Lilly C. Stone, founder of Montgomery County Historical Society; Waters House at Pleasant Fields; WWII rationing, victory gardening; Women’s changing roles in military service; Bethesda Naval Hospital; Glen Echo Park.
47-4 November 2004: “Reminiscences of Alice Darby Nourse,” by Eleanor Darby. Darby family, Dawsonville; C &O Canal, packet boat to Washington; Presbyterian Church; Civil War deaths and burials; slavery.
48-1 February 2005: “Quaker Witness in Sandy Spring, Maryland,” by Patricia A. Andersen. Sandy Spring Meeting House, founded in 1753; Brooke and Snowden families; Charley Forest and Snowden’s Manor Enlarged; Cherry Grove; views on education and slavery; discipline of members; Roberts, Norris, Plummer, Harrison, Canby and Dyer families; Benjamin Hallowell and Bernard Gilpin; Fair Hill School; Mutual Improvement Associations; Civil War and later Peace Testimony.
48-2 May 2005: “The Canada Dry Bottling Plant in Silver Spring,” by Robin D. Ziek. Walter Monroe Cory; industrial zone along East-West Highway; B&O Railroad.
48-3 August 2005: “Dr. Edward Stonestreet’s Medical Education and Related Civil War Service,” by Clarence R. Hickey. Rockville Academy; apprenticeship to William B. Magruder; student at University of Maryland medical school; Civil War contracts as surgeon.
48-4 November 2005: “A Farm, A Neighborhood, and a Cemetery: The Story of the Higgins Family and Spring Lake Park,” by Eleanor Cunningham, Carol R. DuVall and Eileen S. McGuckian. Metropolitan Branch of B.& O. Railroad; farm subdivision; commuting from Randolph, Halpine, Rockville and Derwood; West End Park; Lincoln Park; Great Depression and WPA jobs; WWII veterans; Congressional and Twinbrook Shopping Centers.
49-1 February 2006: “The Underground Railroad in Montgomery County: Recent Finds and Revelations,” by Anthony M. Cohen. Ann Maria Weems; Wilbur Siebert; Allan Farquhar; Elizabeth Bentley Moore; John Needles.
49-2 May 2006: “Keeping Up with the Joneses,” by Steve Dryden. Copeland Parker Jones; Clean Drinking estate from 1911 to present.
49-3 August 2006: “Religious Diversity on the Road to Damascus,” by Patricia Abelard Andersen. New Hampshire Avenue; Rock Creek Parish, Anglican church was the established church; Catholic Church; Vietnamese; Cambodian Buddhist Temple; Ukrainian Churches; Hindu Temple; Jewish Synagogues; Orthodox Churches; Methodist Churches; Baptist Churches; Lutheran Churches; Seventh Day Adventist Churches; Immanuel’s Church & Prayer Stop; Muslim Community Center.
49-4 November 2006: “The Man on Horseback: Frank M. Heath and Gypsy Queen Tour the Nation,” by Jane C. Sween. WWI Vet, American Legion; Stars & Stripes newspaper; Heath visited all 48 states on horseback. Book, Forty Million Hoofbeats. Horse, Gypsy Queen, died in Silver Spring.
Winter 2007: The Montgomery County Story In Our 50th Year of Publication
Topical Summaries and Index, 1957-2006. A brief summary of the main topics of each issue, with author’s name and topical indices for those doing research on Montgomery County history and the county’s residents. A short history of The Montgomery County Story is included.
May 2007: The Diaries of Caroline Miller Farquhar 1859-1864 by Joanna B. Church. Caroline, wife of Roger B. Farquhar, began her diary in 1859 at age 17. It details her social life, courtship, family life and travels. (Diary continues in Vol.51 #3, August 2008.)
August 2007: Growing Up in the Town of Somerset, Montgomery County during World War II by John Gibson. Describes the town and Gibson’s everyday life as a young teenager: air raid drills, rations stamps, victory gardens.
November 2007: Walter Rupert Tuckerman, Father of Bethesda by William Offutt. Provides biography of Tuckerman, banker and land developer. Beginning with his Edgemoor subdivision in Bethesda, he went on to create the Bethesda business district.
51-1 February 2008: One Story and Artifact at a Time: The Civil War Camps at Muddy Branch and the Blockhouse and Outpost Camp at Blockhouse Point by Don Housley. Military orders, regimental histories and soldier’s personal letters detail the encampment at Muddy Branch which lasted from 1861-1865. An archaeological project explores the extent of the encampment.
51-2 May 2008: The Teacher’s Strike of 1968 by William Offutt. At issue was whether teachers would be represented by the Montgomery County Education Association/NEA or the American Federation of Teachers Union. Other issues included were class size, salary, and working conditions.
51-3 August 2008: The Diaries of Caroline Miller Farquhar 1866-1867 by Joanna B. Church
Caroline’s diary continues. (See Vol 50 #2, May 2007) She describes family life and her courtship with Roger B. Farquhar.
51-4 November 2008: The Peter Family of Montgomery County by Jane Sween. An account of three generations of the Peter family along with their place in county history and stories of their experiences.
52-1 February 2009: Members of the Ridgely Brown Camp for Confederate Veterans by J. Tyler Masterman, a high school intern, who read through the Charles and Marian Jacobs manuscript collection on Confederate Veterans in Montgomery County, and selected the stories of six men — Lt. Col. Ridgely Brown, Benjamin Canby Duvall, Spencer Cone Jones, William Henry Laird, Edward James Chiswell, and Augustus Warfield Dorsey — to tell the story of Confederate veterans in Montgomery County following the Civil War.
52-2 May 2009: Yea Leland! by William Offutt. For a half century Leland Junior High School in Bethesda was a premier middle school widely known for academic and athletic achievement and for scholastic and organizational innovation. This article describes the two buildings and reminisces about the personnel, educational policies, activities, and social trends through WWII and the Cold War until its closure in 1985.
52-3 Winter 2009 (double issue):
-Shad, Fried Chicken and Apple Butter: The Foodways of Historic Montgomery County 1600-1900, by Michael W. Twitty. Extensively traces changing patterns of agriculture and food consumption from the Native American palette of local, seasonal foods through the introduction of European and African crops requiring accommodation to land and climate, fishing and dairying, the family farm and kitchen garden, growth of plantations, the marketplace, food preparation and recipes, celebratory and communal meals.
-Magruder’s Folly, by Michael Dwyer. Major Samuel Magruder’s mill at Cabin John Creek acquired by son Patrick. Much litigation ensued, excerpts from testimony of ownership disputes and liability for the death of slaves hired to work the site. Lilly Moore Stone, a descendant, developed the property to become Stoneyhurst Quarry, bringing quarrying to the county, and founded MCHS.
53-1 Spring 2010 (double issue):
-Sugarland’s Story, by Gwen Reese and Suzanne Johnson. Recounts the history of Sugarland, an African American community established in 1871 near Poolesville. Discusses founding of the community church and school, as well the history of individual residents, families, and events.
-Rest in Peace, by B.J. Diggs and Annette Fletchall. Discusses historic cemeteries and funeral homes in the county, as well as the changing mores of burial practices through time.
53-2 Fall 2010 (double issue):
-A Political Overview of 1930s Montgomery County by Nathaniel Green. An account of Montgomery County’s debate and referendum on the topic of Prohibition in 1933, and the political maneuvering resulting in the formation of the Fusion Party in 1934.
-The Diary of Henrietta E. Clagett, 1924-1925 transcribed by Julia Gottlieb, additional research by Joanna Church. A look at life in Rockville and the experiences of an elderly widow who left home to live with her daughter.
54-1 Summer 2011 (double issue):
-The Long and Winding Road: A History of the Intercounty Connector, 1950-2006 by John Spiers. The first recipient of a fellowship from Mary Kay Harper Center for Suburban Studies, John Spiers presents the complex and convoluted history of the ICC from the original proposal by National Capital Park and Planning Commission to the final approval that led to construction of the highway.
-African Americans in Montgomery County During the Civil War, by Susan Soderberg. Provides a brief history of African Americans in the county, both enslaved and free, the impact of the Civil War upon them, and the contributions they made to the war.
54-2 Winter 2011 (double issue):
-Automobiles in Early Twentieth Century Montgomery County by Patricia Abelard Andersen. A survey of some of the early automobile insurance policies found in the Montgomery Mutual Insurance Collection (at MCHS library), including information on owners and automobile dealers.
-White Flint Golf Course by William Offutt. A history of the public golf course at White Flint, from its start in the late 1920s to its closure in the 1960s.
55-1 Summer 2012 (double issue):
-The 1940 Census: Where to Find It and How to Use It by Linda M. Kennedy. An overview of the recently released 1940 US Federal Census, including on-line sources for researchers.
-From Little League to the Big League: The Takoma Tigers by Eileen McGuckian. An examination of Takoma Park’s baseball team, specifically its integration and the parallels to the integration of the public schools. Key players and coaches are also discussed.
55-2 Winter 2012 (double issue):
-The History of National Park Seminary, A Montgomery County Treasure by Anne Brockett, Donald Hall, Linda Lyons, and Bonnie Rosenthal of Save Our Seminary at Forest Glen. The National Park Seminary in Forest Glen has gone through many incarnations, from hotel to school to Army facility to residential community. This issue looks at each part of the Seminary story, from the 19th century to the present day, and features numerous photographs.
56-1 Spring 2013: Sesquicentennial of 1863 Civil War (special issue)
This special issue describes notable events and personalities of the Civil War in Montgomery County in 1863.
-J.E.B. Stuart’s “Wild Ride” Through Montgomery County – June 1863 by Robert C. Plumb.
-Captain James Anderson, Confederate Soldier by Robert Brewer.
56-2 Winter 2013 (double issue):
–Ayrlawn Farms of Bethesda by Louise S. Richards. The story of the Letts family and their Bethesda farm, Arylawn, in the early 20th century, as well as the farm’s lasting impact on the Bethesda landscape.
–Homes Inspired by America’s Past: Colonial Revival Architect V.T.H. Bien
by Clare Lise Kelly. Overview of the life and career of a prominent Montgomery County architect, including a look at some of the homes and schools he designed.
57-1 Spring 2014: The War of 1812 in Montgomery County (Bicentennial Issue)
Three articles examine aspects of Montgomery County’s role in the War of 1812 and experiences of County residents during that conflict.
-Montgomery County in the “Second American Revolution” by Robert C. Plumb
-Where All Seems Security and Peace:Brookeville in 1814 by Catherine Lavoie
-U.S. Capital for a Day by Sandra Heiler.
57- 2 Winter 2015: Momentous events of 1864 (1864 Sesquicentennial Issue)
—Montgomery County and Jubal Early’s Raid on Washington, July 10-14, 1864, A Sesquicentennial Perspective by Benjamin Franklin Cooling.
—Emancipation in Montgomery County, Maryland by Eileen McGuckian.
58-1 Summer 2015: (double issue)
—George Atzerodt: The Reluctant Assassin by Susan Cooke Soderberg. How one of the Lincoln assassination conspirators became entangled in the 1865 plot.
—Dark Day in Clarksburg by David M. Cohen. A deadly civil aviation accident in rural Montgomery County.
58-2 Fall 2015: A Century of One- and Two-Room Schools: Teaching Yet Today by Ralph Buglass.
A historic overview and analysis of early public school buildings, how they survived and how they are used today.
59-1 Summer 2016: The Superintendents of Our Schools by William Offutt.
Vignettes of the 22 men who have held the most powerful non-elected position in Montgomery County, from 1860 to 2016.
59-2 Winter 2016-2017: (double issue)
—Major Richard Brooke: A Montgomery County Founding Father, by Susan Cooke Soderberg and Mary C. Turner. The life, times, estates, fortunes, and family of “the Quaker who fought.”
—The Cold Water Apostles: A History of Prohibition in Montgomery County, by Patricia A. Andersen. How public officials and citizen activists fought to control use, sales, and distribution of alcoholic beverages over a period of nearly 200 years.
60-1 Winter 2017: Riley v. Worthington: Joseph Willson’s Feuding Family of Early Montgomery County, by Stephen Stec.
A drawn-out 19th century legal case illustrates complicated family matters and provides a wealth of information about major personages in early Rockville.
60-2 (There was no issue published for this number)
61-1 Summer 2018: Mighty Mos in Montgomery County: The Hot Shoppes History, by Katie Dishman.
The story of the Marriott family and a food service corporation that maintained its appeal to local families for more than 80 years.
61-2 Winter 2018-2019: (double issue)
— Grit and Gusto: Farmerettes and Suffragettes on America’s Homefront in WWI, by Judith Welles. Illuminates the history of the Women’s Land Army, known as the Farmerettes, their conscription, work, and the historical context of their contributions to the war effort.
— Thomas Sprigg Wootten: Maryland Patrician & Patriot, by Brent Newton. The career and family life of the Revolutionary War-era politician known as the “Father of Montgomery County;” his work to create liberty and democracy for America juxtaposed with his status as one of the largest slaveowners in the area.
62-1 Summer 2019: The County’s Historian: The Montgomery County Historical Society at 75 Years, by Sarah Hedlund.
75th Anniversary edition outlining the history of MCHS’s founding, early years, growth as an organization, and vision of the future, with dozens of rarely seen photographs.