Join the Lilly Stone Circle
Lilly Stone, a lifelong Montgomery County resident, inherited farmland and several homes near Bethesda including Glenmore and Stoneyhurst. She operated several businesses during her lifetime; most notably, she was the first woman to own and operate a stone quarry–Stoneyhurst–which she opened in 1923 when she was a widow in her 60s. She also had a long-standing connection to the Maryland Historical Society, as the first woman to present a paper to that organization (on General Braddock’s March) in 1909, and with the Daughters of the American Revolution, as the designer, in 1939, of the first flag to represent Montgomery County, based on the family crest of its namesake Richard Montgomery. On a summer evening in 1944, she convened an impressive number of her acquaintances – 24 people who shared her love and appreciation for the history of Montgomery County – and established the Montgomery History.
Lilly led an extraordinary life and was proof that an individual, driven by passion and guided by an optimistic vision, could leave a lasting mark. As the founder and first president of the Society, Lilly personified the qualities that continue to inspire us today: strength, intelligence, generosity, and grit.
The Lilly Stone Circle recognizes those who follow in our founder’s footsteps. Donors to Montgomery History who invest $1,000 or more each year, include the organization in their estate plans, or provide over 500 hours of volunteer service annually will join the Circle and receive invitations to exclusive Lilly Stone Circle events, special donor recognition, and the satisfaction of knowing that Lilly’s legacy is being passed forward to future generations.
We invite you to join the Lilly Stone Circle today.
For more information, please contact the development director.