Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I support Montgomery History?

You can donate online or send a check to Montgomery History, 111 W. Montgomery Ave., Rockville, MD 20850. If you wish to donate a gift of stock or include Montgomery History in your estate plans, please contact Executive Director Matt Logan.

How can I be informed of upcoming events?

You can subscribe to our weekly e-news. Our upcoming events, including History Conversations, our annual History Conference, and special events are advertised here.

Where can I find the most recent issue of The Montgomery County Story?

The Spring 2022 issue, vol. 65 no. 1, was our last issue mailed to supporters. The Fall/Winter 2022 issue, vol. 65 no. 2, was our first issue that was published online. Each issue of The Montgomery County Story will be announced in our e-News when it becomes available. Our current issue and past issues can be found here and are downloadable in PDF format.

How can I visit the Library?

The Jane Sween Research Library is open by appointment only. You can learn about our collections and services, and also make an appointment here. Be prepared to provide your research area of interest so our librarian can have materials available.

What does Montgomery History have in the library collection?

The overview of resources provides more information about what you can find in our library. You can search our collection of books, photographs, and special collections or access our digitial repository to see more.

My research requires a source in your library, but I don’t live nearby.

We offer remote research services. Many simple requests can be answered without incurring fees—send your questions to our archivist/librarian.

How can I make a donation to the library (paper, books, ephemera) or museum collection?

Please see our policies for Library and Special Collections Donations and Museum Collections Donations. If your item meets the guidelines, please follow the instructions on each page and our archivist/librarian or collection manager will contact you.

How can I find out who owned my property in the past?

Researching property in Montgomery County can be tricky, but there is a lot to discover once you begin. The process can take many directions, and involve lots of different kinds of resources. To learn about property research in Montgomery County, see our page of suggestions and resources here: Learn about Property Research

How can I sign up for an upcoming History Conversation?

Information about upcoming events, including registration links to our History Conversations and rewind programs are available on our Events page.

How can I schedule a Speakers Bureau talk for my organization?

We are pleased to offer the services of our Speakers Bureau for your organization’s meeting. Please review our Speakers Bureau topics and contact Matt Gagle, Director of Programs, to schedule a talk. Montgomery History requests a contribution of $75 per presentation.

How can I visit the Stonestreet Museum?

The Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine is open by appointment! If you’d like to meet Dr. Stonestreet and visit the museum, you can schedule your appointment by contacting

I want to renovate my historic house, who can I speak with?

Contact the Montgomery County Planning Department’s Historic Preservation Office at 301-563-3400 or

Is my home designated a historic structure?

The Maryland Historical Trust is a state agency dedicated to preserving and interpreting Maryland’s past and serves as Maryland’s State Historic Preservation Office. Among many other roles, they maintain an inventory of Maryland’s Historic Properties.

How can I volunteer at Montgomery History?

Montgomery History has a number of special events when we can use volunteers. If you would like to be added to a contact list or have any special talents you wish to share, please contact Matt Gagle, Director of Programs.